Sunday, April 28, 2019

Abby Brewer 2019


Young Master's Art Show 2019

"Crazy Zailey"


Here is one of my art pieces that I submitted into the Young Master's Art Show this year. It got an honorable mention and is a graphite drawing of my dog Zailey. What inspired me to draw her was because I love animals, especially dogs. My family and I adopted her from a close friend, who couldn't take care of her anymore. A week after we got her, I was sitting in my living room and she jump onto my lap. Which was the perfect opportunity to snap a few pictures of her. Out of all the pictures that I took I chose this one.It took me awhile, because the hardest parts were the eye, correct placement of the nose, and the fur texture. Overall, this would have to be my favorite piece and I really like how it turned out. Love you crazy Zailey!!



"Garden Feast"

The second piece that I submitted to the Young Master's Art Show was a photography piece of a grasshopper. It was after school, when I went to pick some tomatoes out of the garden. While I was doing this, I stepped on an unwanted pile of weeds, that was on the side of the tomato plant. That second, a flash of something small had jumped into the grass. I slowly approached it and realized it was a grasshopper sitting on a strip of grass. I quickly took my phone out of my coat pocket and zoomed in on the camera to make the background blurry. Guess he just wanted to say hello and then he jumped away.
"Never Summer Mountains"

The last piece that I entered into the Young Master's Art Show was a photography piece of trees and mountains in Estes Park. My dad was driving on Trail Ridge Road, but I asked him to please pull over so I could take pictures. Even though, it was very foggy, I sat on the edge of a large rock and waited until the fog cleared up. Next thing I knew, green specks were peeping through the fog. The sky wasn't completely clear yet, but I decided to take pictures anyway because it was so beautiful!

Commission Piece for Staff Member



           "Large Thumbnail Sketch"                                                                                             "Small Thumbnail Sketches"

I had to choose either a staff member at school or a teacher and create a piece of artwork for them. It was a very hard decision, because I love all my teachers, but Mr. Davis who is my history teacher. I asked him and Parent Teacher Conferences if he wanted to be the person receiving a piece of my artwork and he said yes, I would love that! During Panther Times, I asked him a few questions and drew small thumbnail sketches to get a general idea of what he wanted once I got all of the details I took all of that information and put it into my art piece. He wanted the gorilla to be cool colors and the leaves warm colors with water color. When I first started, I used a large canvas which was a huge mistake, because the water colored pencils wouldn't stay in place because of the shiny surface. I then decided to use a medium piece of water colored paper and that worked much better. 



Since my teacher said he liked sloths and gorillas, my first few sketches were of those two animals. We came to an agreement and he said that I could do a gorilla instead of a sloth. I drew them in different positions, such as hanging in a hammock and sitting in a chair. For the background I lightly sketched out leaves behind him and filled them in with watercolor. They were light violet with a tint of bright yellow. Since I'm not used to using watercolors, it was a challenge for me but I liked the final results and so did Mr. Davis.


"Green Gorilla"

With a lot of time and hard work, this is my final art piece for Mr. Davis' gorilla. I used a medium sized watercolor paper with water colored pencils for the leaves. When I finished I presented it to Mr. Davis and he said it is cool and awesome! He couldn't wait to hang it up in his classroom. 

Gallery Visits


"RINO Crush Walls"

During first semester, our P.A.H group took an art field trip to the RINO Crush Walls. It is located near downtown Denver and the streets are filled with painted work. Each artist gets to choose an alley way to paint, but before they do they have to get permission by the person who owns the building. Once they get permission, they are free to spray paint what they want. Some looked like they had sentimental value while others looked like they were done for fun. My friend took this picture of me when we were on the trip. The reason why I chose this one was because it is literal and figurative, with the rhino holding an orange crush can. Another thing I really liked about this spray paint picture was the blue writing and how it contrasted with the rhino.



Mr. O'Connell arranged for the visual arts students to take a tour of the "Doodle for Google Building" in Boulder. When we reached our destination, there were two large buildings that were a part of the Google building. When we entered the building our tour guides met us and showed us through the buildings. Throughout the building different areas were made to be like different scenes in Colorado. Such as a camp ground, with a small pop up trailer. Then we all gathered in a conference room and they explained to us about the "Doodle for Google" contests they have each year. When we got back to school, Mr. O'Connell gave us   an assignment for creating a Doodle for Google. It was a fun and very educational experience.




I was pleased and honored that Mr. O'Connell submitted a piece of my art, into the Jefferson County High School Art Show this year. Out of 870 entries, only 480 were chosen to be displayed and I feel honored to be among those 480. It was a lot of fun to go and visit the Arvada Center, to view my art and all of the other art pieces in the show. My two favorite pieces, besides my own that were in the show would have to be, "Wolf Got Your Tongue" by: Becky Young and "Fright" by: Alexander Fitzgerald. There were so many beautiful pieces of artwork in the gallery and it was hard to choose, but these two caught my eye. The drawing of the wolf and the person caught my eye because it was created with graphite which is my favorite tool to draw with. When I looked at it, it made me feel calm and happy because the wolf was licking its owners face to show love and affection, just like our pets do. The second piece that really caught my eye was the photography piece of a little girl looking underneath a bed. The reason why I liked this one was because, even though the title name was called "Fright" when I looked at it I felt curious. Many questions went through my mind such as, "Is she actually scared?" "Is there something scary under her bed, or is he just scared because she thinks something is under her bed when there really isn't?" These are the types of things I was thinking while viewing this photography piece. I enjoyed everything and it was an amazing experience!!




"Wolf Got Your Tongue" by: Becky Young


"Fright" by: Alexander Fitzgerald




"Jeffco High School Art Show 2019"

- If you'd like to know more about my art, follow me on my art account on Instagram 
Username: passion.4_art





Grades:
Sem 1 (fall)- Creative Art-Drawing A
Sem 2 (spring)- Creative Art-Drawing Int A









No comments:

Post a Comment